Friday, January 15, 2010

January 15, 2010

Dear Friend,

It has been a busy and terrific first two weeks in City Hall. I wanted to take a few moments and share with you what we have been up to as we work toward making the Valley a better, safer and more economically viable place to live and work.

Magnolia Project, Valley Village

After assuming office Jan. 5, I got right to work. The first motion I introduced will allow the Valley Village community the opportunity to continue to be heard in opposing a development that could be at odds with the unique character of that neighborhood. I was proud to deliver on this campaign promise and help out the residents of Valley Village who brought this matter to my attention.

Saving the McGroarty Oaks
A few days later, I spoke to the Board of Public Works and asked them not to go through with a planned street project in the Sunland-Tujunga community. The unnecessary and expensive plans would have needlessly widened the street and, in the process, uprooted 10 Oak trees (at right) from the neighborhood. I was very pleased that the board unanimously agreed with me that this would have been a waste of time and money, and would have destroyed irreplaceable natural treasures.

On the Docket: Curbing Medical Marijuana Clinics
Next week, we plan on voting for a series of measures that could finally clamp down on the uncontrolled growth of medical marijuana clinics throughout CD2 and Los Angeles. One ordinance on the table would create a 1,000-foot buffer zone to separate these pot shops from schools, parks, libraries and other sensitive areas. As always, my staff and I will keep you informed.

Upcoming Events
Looking ahead, I am very excited for this weekend. On Saturday, I will help reopen a portion of Valley Plaza Park in North Hollywood that had been closed for 9 months. Park crews just finished laying down a synthetic soccer field that will save the city money and about two million gallons of water a year! The event will take place at 9:30 a.m. at the northwest corner of the park, which is on the corner of Whitsett Avenue and Vanowen Street. Bring the family!

Finally, on Sunday, we will hold a community-wide event in Van Nuys City Hall when I will be ceremonially sworn-in by Sheriff Lee Baca. The event will include speeches from community members, elected officials and will be emceed by Fox11 reporter/CD2 resident Christina Gonzalez. If you would like to attend the event, which starts at 1 p.m., please call (818) 849- 5200 to RSVP.

Weather Alert
Officials expect a major storm to pound Southern California in the coming days. In an effort to assist Los Angeles residents with extreme storm needs, the Los Angeles Fire Department and Bureau of Street Services are making ready-to-fill sandbags available at locations citywide, including ALL NEIGHBORHOOD FIRE STATIONS.

To find your Neighborhood Fire Station or nearest Bureau of Street Services location, call the city's 3-1-1 Ambassadors at any hour. They are happy to direct you to the closest source of sand and sandbags.

I hope everyone has a safe, dry and pleasant weekend.

Best,

Paul Krekorian
Councilmember, CD2
Los Angeles City Council
cd2.lacity.org

No comments: